"Breaking out - The New Paper Nov 09, 2013
Syahera knows where drug addicts leave syringes in the stairwell at her block. She also knows which tables between her block and the next are good for studying, and which to avoid because drinkers will later claim their spot.
Syahera is 12 and this is home. Her family asked that her picture not be used to prevent embarrassment.
On one of the days The New Paper visited her, there were three empty vodka bottles left at the void-deck table where she usually studies. "I can get distracted, because people throw things down when I'm doing work and I'm scared they will hit me. Sometimes I'm unhappy, sometimes I'm scared," she said.
She's the third generation of a family that has lived in the same one-room flat for the past six years. She lives with her grandparents, uncle and two younger cousins; as well as another uncle occasionally. Her father lives elsewhere with her future stepmother.
While it's easy to feel sorry for themselves, Syahera's family are banking on her breaking through the poverty cycle. "They want me to get an education, maybe because they are not educated. I feel proud they have that hope for me," she said."
Honestly I COULD NOT believe what I have just read as this is SINGAPORE. A world class vibrant global city/nation/country! How could a 12-year old knew where the drug addicts have their fixes and the anti-narcotic bureau did not make sure that these addicts are OFF the street!
Lessons for me are:
1. it is a reality check for me. I always believe that WHEN something wrong is known in Singapore, our government will FIX it! I am not asking the government to get involve with solving domestic dispute or anything like that but those matters relating to public safety and law and orders besides defense, education and health care! I guessed I am wrong;
2. I admire Ms Syahera's courage and determination to do well in her educational journey. The environment that had been described in this news report is shocking. I hope that she will get all the help that she needs to make good. She deserves better;
3. it is heart warming to learn of the determination and resolve of her grandparents to support her in this educational journey. At the same time it is reasonable to be sad about the situation too. Did we miss a generation somehow? Why should the grandparents be taking care of their grandchildren after they had done their duties of taking care of their children?
May Ms Syahera continue to do well in her studies. May she realises her dream and break out of poverty. May she returns the favour by helping kids like her when she become successful.
This is indeed a story and shook me.
About Me
- LU Keehong Mr
- I am a Practitioner of 'The 7e Way of Leaders' where a Leader will Envision, Enable (ASK for TOP D), Empower, Execute, Energize, and Evolve grounded on ETHICS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment