About Me

My photo
I am a Practitioner of 'The 7e Way of Leaders' where a Leader will Envision, Enable (ASK for TOP D), Empower, Execute, Energize, and Evolve grounded on ETHICS!

Friday, October 25, 2013

Daily Lessons from Life 20- 25 October 2013 - The Great China Firewall!

Was in Guangzhou from 20 October and just got back. Time to catch up on the blog since I could not access this in China due to the Great China Firewall!! Sad as I don't have any VPN access.

1. Observation

If you have to visit Guangzhou, avoid the months when they have the Trade Fairs - Spring and Winter seasons - going on. Unless, of course, you are there for BUSINESS! Reason: The hotels, ALL of them, will increase their room rates by 2x to 3x without offering any apologies! This is THE WAY. Just like in Singapore when we have the F1 or some big Air Show or conventions. For that matter, any big convention and meeting venues around the world! Fair game!

So, be aware travellers!

2. While I could not access to my blog, I was able to read the many news websites that I frequent. So, here are some thoughts on some of the 'headlines' - big and small.

a. spitting man in Woodland bus terminal in Singapore

Not sure what triggered the 'total loss of control of emotion' by this 'spitting man' who spat at a woman who supposedly 'accused' him of queue jumping and also manhandled her and another female passenger or by-standers! Just read that he had been remanded and charged for causing a public nuisance as well as potentially for molestation as he pushed the female person at the chest level!

Whatever it is, such behaviors are simply not condoned in first world Singapore. Hopefully when the crippling rage subsided, the 'spitting man' realized his folly and 'gracefully' accepted the penalties meted out by the laws.

b. 'listening in to friend's mobile phone conversation'

The German were simply outraged that Chancellor Merkel's mobile phone'might' had been tapped by the USA intelligence services! She told President Obama that, if true, is totally unacceptable! The Europeans are beginning to question this tactic by the USA too. Looks like the US already having fun dealing with Mr Putin's Russia taking in Mr Snowden will have to figure a way to 'cool down' their traditional allies in the West too! 

No wonder the talk of 'Big Data' is generating so much excitement in the business world. Gold are to be mined from the mines of Big Data! Along with national secrets? :-)

c. China TV Stations Reporting

Actually am quite amaze at the type of 'reality' reporting on many of the China TV stations while in China. I guessed more so in Guangzhou as the Cantonese TV stations have some really shocking and revealing reporting about anything! Some of the boldest reporting about official corruptions are done by the Southern province news people. Something I don't think Singapore reporters or editors and press and TV media owners will ever try! Too controversial and may incur official wrath!

Well, enough of catch up for now!

No comments: