I. Tue, Feb 09, 2010
My new notebook PC crashed on me last night and I could not get on to the Internet to read nor blog! It was a frustrating experience as the notebook PC is less than 2 months old. As I began to feel angry, I suddenly realized that it does not make any sense to be angry or frustrated as it has happened and it did not cause any life and death consequence!!
Lessons for me are:
1. we are increasingly dependent on technology and web! It is, or can be, scary;
2. we can be have thousands and one NEGATIVE excuses to use on this crash. e.g. how can bad luck happened to me? what a poor quality job the manufacturer and the workers/engineers/etc had done? etc;
3. or we can just take it that: the notebook has crashed. Now let's get it fix through our own efforts or through the manufacturer's service folks and find out what exactly happened and get those responsible to take note and not make the same mistake again. In the meantime find alternative way to get back on-line and do the things one needs to do with computer!!
II. "Wed, Feb 10, 2010 AsiaOne - Rejected six times, he started his own school
He gave up a job in the financial industry to be a preschool teacher even though the pay was as much as five times less than what he was earning - but couldn't find a job.
Mr Teo Tze Wei, 41, obtained a specialist diploma in early childhood education accredited by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports, but he was rejected by six preschools because he is a man."
This is a great story to learn. Especially after I read one reader who said he knew Mr. Teo from the National Service days and that he was a patient and dedicated person.
Lessons for me are:
1. if you have a vision and stayed focused, you will take setbacks in your strides and let the experiences, no matter how negative they could be, strengthened your desire and deepen your commitment to achieving your vision!;
2. sacrifices have to be made as it this case on the time taken to get the proper professional qualification and the less than 5 times his last drawn pay to switch vocation!;
3. being an enterprising businessman, and a successful one, will means employing the hard skills and knowledge with the soft skills and knowledge to nurture, maintain, and grow it.
May Mr. Teo and his partner achieve their visions and goals healthily and happily!